Carers support is an integral part of the work of Pukar; staff have extensive experience of working with carers and their families from diverse communities.
Pukar works with carers by:
- Identifying new carers
- Providing information and advice and support
- Provide learning opportunities
- Provide carers breaks
- Drop in service for enquiries
- Form filling related to carers
- Link carers with organisations that would further provide support
- Advocacy service
- Language support
- Home visits
Regular carers meetings are held that provide opportunities for carers to meet for mutual support, participate in activities at the centre and also away from the centre,
P was referred by a partner organisation to Pukar by her friend. Pukar staff assessed her and arranged for a English speaking class. It was found she was caring for 3 members of her family and she herself had a disability. Pukar worked extensively with her including on Debt advice and support and enabled her to link into courses to support with continues learning.